In an effort to support our community, SF State HR has assembled resources related to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
Community Basic Needs Resources
Community Food Resources
Eviction and Utility Moratoriums
What is a moratorium? A moratorium stops an activity for an agreed amount of time. For example, the eviction moratorium prohibits property owners from evicting residential tenants who cannot pay rent due to COVID-19. Reasons include loss of income from work, childcare costs related to school closures, and healthcare costs.
On March 27, 2020, Governor Gavin Newsom issued an executive order banning the enforcement of eviction orders for renters affected by COVID-19 through May 31, 2020. Renters must notify their property owner in writing within seven days of due rent. For more information, visit the Office of the Governor’s website. Additionally, many California cities including San Francisco and San Jose have temporarily halted evictions. If you are experiencing fear of eviction, we encourage you to explore your city and county policy on temporary eviction moratoriums. Cities and counties may have different policies so it is important to check both.
There has been a temporary suspension of foreclosures and evictions for Federal Housing Administration insured mortgages; Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac backed mortgages; and, USDA financed homes across rural America.
- Federal Housing Finance Agency - Mortgage Assistance for Homeowners Affected by COVID-1
- Bankrate - Mortgage Relief Guide
Check your local utility providers’ website, if your utility provider is not listed below.
- San Francisco Public Utilities Commission (SFPUC)
- Alameda County Water District
- California Public Utilities Commission
- City of Benicia Utilities- Water and Sewage
- Contra Costa Water District
- East Bay Community Energy
- East Bay Municipal Utility District (EBMUD)
- Golden State Water Company
- Pacific Gas & Electric (PG&E)
- San Jose Water Company
- Silicon Valley Power
- For survivors of domestic abuse, staying home to prevent the spread of COVID-19 may further compromise survivors’ safety. The link above provides specific tips for survivors in regards to creating safety plans and reaching out for help
Mental Health Resources
- Calm - Free Meditation Resources
- Headspace - Weathering the storm (meditations)
- Headspace is offering a collection of meditations and sleep/movement exercises to help you find some space and kindness for yourself and those around you
- SAMHSA: coping with stress during ID outbreak
- SAMHSA: Tips for social distancing, quarantine, isolation during ID outbreak
- CDC – Taking Care of Your Emotional Health
- The Guardian - Managing Anxiety During COVID-19
- AMR Therapy
- AMR Therapy is offering sliding scale mental health therapy and 30-minute phone sessions for donation only.
- Wysa - AI Chat to Cope with Isolation, Anxiety, and Depression
- Wysa is an AI chatbot with exercises to help with stress, depression, and anxiety. They have developed activity packs for Isolation Stress and Pandemic Stress.
- Sanvello - Free Premium Access During COVID-19 Crisis
- Sanvello is an app that provides exercises for managing stress, anxiety, and depression. They are providing premium access- all content, coping tools, and peer support, for free during the crisis
- Happify - Free Tracks for COVID-19
- Happify is an app and website designed to help users overcome negative thoughts, stress, and life’s challenges using evidence-based solutions.
- Mental Health Associated of SF 24/7 peer-run warm line for COVID19 support
- Qigong to Calm the Mind with Sally Chang
Resources for Families with Children
Pick-up free diapers at five locations. Recommend calling prior to pick-up for hours.
- 170 Otis Street, 1st Floor @Child Care Resource Desk, 415-557-5100
- 1235 Mission Street, 415-558-4700
- 3120 Mission Street, 415-401-4800
- 37 Grove Street, 415-644-0504 ext. 2320
- 156 Broad Street, 415-406-1370
- Curriculum Resources via SF dept of children youth & their families for indoor activities
- Parent Caregiver Guide to Helping Families Cope with COVID-19 Factsheet
- BrainPOP video explaining covid19
- Covibook for kids Spanish | English
- Helpful hand-outs
- SAMHSA: Talking with Children: Tips for caregivers, parents, and teachers during ID outbreaks
- NCTSN: Parent/Caregiver Guide to Helping Families Cope with the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) [Chinese] [Spanish]
- Creative Movement for SFUSD's Visual and Performing Arts Department Virtual dance classes
- Free digital books by EPIC! (3500+ books!)