If you lose your eligibility for SF State medical, dental, or vision coverage, the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1985 (COBRA) gives you the option of continuing your coverage for a limited period of time.
Under COBRA, MIT must notify you in writing if you are no longer eligible for your existing SF State medical, dental, or vision plan coverage. Within 60 days of this notification or within 60 days of your loss of coverage (whichever is later), you have the option of continuing coverage at a higher cost for a limited period of time. COBRA is a transition solution to cover you until you enroll in a new medical plan.
You are eligible for COBRA coverage if you have lost your SF State medical, dental, or vision plan coverage because of
- Termination of SF State employment
- Reduction in SF State work hours to ineligible status
- A layoff from SF State
- Change in SF State employment to ineligible job category
- Death of a spouse or domestic partner
- Change in child's eligibility because of age, marriage, employment, service in the armed forces, or other disqualifying events
In keeping with federal law, the SF State COBRA Plan gives each individual covered under an SF State health, dental or vision plan an independent right to continue the same coverage they were enrolled in before they lost eligibility. COBRA coverage is subject to all the same deductibles, exclusions, limitations, and other provisions as the terminated coverage.
- Benefits department sends an enrollment package to all eligible employees upon separation from the University.
- COBRA coverage for employees extends for 18 months. Covered spouses, domestic partners, and/or dependent children are eligible for continued coverage for a maximum of 36 months.
COBRA Enrollment and Payments
Benefits Administration sends an enrollment package to all eligible employees upon separation from the university. Instructions and timelines are included in this packet.
COBRA can help ensure short-term coverage for families who would otherwise lose health insurance.
COBRA premiums are sent directly to the insurance carrier.