Here are some guidelines to help on your first day at San Francisco State. Partner with your manager to identify your initial assignments; the purpose of your work; how it fits into your department or school's overarching mission and goals; and how you can begin making immediate contributions.
- Meet with Human Resources to complete sign in paperwork.
- Clarify your first week’s schedule, and confirm required and recommended training with your supervisor.
- Set up your personal workspace.
- Ask your manager for an overview of the functional area – its purpose, organizational structure, and goals.
- Review your position description and expectations. Ask how your job fits in the department, and how your job and department contribute to the department/college and university.
- Review hours of work. Ask questions about policies and procedures for overtime, use of vacation and sick time, holidays.
Ask your manager about:
- Employee key(s) and building access card.
- Transportation and parking.
- Department-specific safety and emergency information.
- Taking a campus tour.
- How to get additional supplies.