Change in Marital or Domestic Partnership Status

Learn how marriage, a domestic partnership, or a divorce will impact your Institute benefits. If you are eligible to receive benefits, you may include your domestic partner in your medical, dental, or vision plan coverage.


In order to enroll your partner, you must complete the Affidavit of Domestic Partnership (Right-hand side) and send it directly to SF State Human Resources Benefits.

Generally, SF State's health, dental and vision plans cover your partner's children through the end of the month in which they turn age 26. If they become eligible for coverage through another group plan, they would be removed from your plan(s) effective the date in which they became eligible for other group health plan coverage. A disabled dependent of your partner is covered under benefit plans for the duration of his or her dependency. 

A divorce or the end of a domestic partnership can be a difficult time, so it's easy to overlook the impact this transition can have on many of your SF State's benefits. This page will help you to keep track of areas that might require action.

Remember that if you do not meet the timeline described below for modifying your benefits, you will have to wait until the next annual Open Enrollment period to do so.

Health, dental, and vision plans

  • if you find yourself suddenly without health insurance because you were covered by the health plan of your spouse or domestic partner, review your medical, dental, and vision plan options, and enroll in the plans that meet your needs.
  • If divorce changes your financial situation and your eligibility for Medicaid or the State Children's Health Insurance Program, you have 60 days to make corresponding changes to health-related benefits. 
  • If your divorce decree requires you to continue SF State medical coverage for your former spouse, SF State Benefits will help you set up a separate individual membership for your former spouse. There is no SF State subsidy on this individual membership; you and/or your former spouse are responsible for paying the full unsubsidized group cost for this coverage.