CSU Benefits Open Enrollment
Open Enrollment 2019 for Active Eligible Employees is from September 10, 2018 - October 5, 2018 | SF State Benefits Fair is September 25, 2018
Open Enrollment is an opportunity for you to review your current benefit plan elections to ensure they continue to meet your needs and those of your family. You can change your benefits, update your beneficiaries, and check your mailing address. Additions, changes or deletions will become effective January 1, 2019. Due to the number of plan changes, the October 5, 2018 5 p.m. deadline will be adhered to. This will allow the Human Resources Benefits division the necessary processing time to update all employee changes.
If you don't want to make any changes to your current benefits, you don't need to do anything. Your current elections for these plans will automatically continue for plan year 2019. However, if you want a Health Care or Dependent Care Reimbursement Account, you must re-enroll every year.
Working in partnership with the Chancellor's Office HRM Benefits Team, a comprehensive systemwide website with resources such as plan change information, links to CalPERS and plan providers, as well as benefits forms, has been developed for our benefits eligible colleauges.
You are able to enroll, change or cancel the benefit plans listed below. Enrollment in these benefit plans are restricted to Open Enrollment only, unless, a qualified event mid-year has occurred.
- CalPERS Health
- Delta Dental
- Vision Service Plan (VSP) Premier Vision Plan (enrollment and cancellation for the Premier Plan may only be done during Open Enrollment and after the completion of 12 continuous months of enrollment)
- CSU FlexCash (in lieu of health and/or dental)
- CSU Dependent Care Reimbursement Account (must re-enroll each year)
- CSU Health Care Reimbursement Account (must re-enroll each year)
- MetLaw Legal Plan
Beginning August 27, employees can view their 2018 Health Plan Statement and 2018-19 Open Enrollment Newsletter (PDF) by logging in to their my|CalPERS account.
Health Plan Change Highlights for 2019
Health Plan Rate Changes - Effective January 1, 2019, rates for most health plans will change. Please refer to the 2019 CalPERS Health Benefits Plan Rates to review the monthly employee cost.
- Health Net will no longer be offered in Sacramento in 2019. If you are enrolled in Health Net and reside in Sacramento, and do not make a change during Open Enrollment, you and your enrolled family members will be administratively moved to a comparable plan in your area.
PERS Select Basic PPO Plan has adopted a value-based insurance design:
- The new PERS Select plan will change co-pays for primary care, specialists, and urgent care; award credits to reduce the annual deductible; eliminate hospital tiering, so you can access any hospital in your network at one coinsurance rate; eliminating coinsurance for inpatient delivery, after enrollment in the Healthy Moms program.
- Blue Shield Access+ will exit eight (8) Bay Area Counties: Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Solano, and Sonoma.If you are enrolled in Blue Shield Access+, you must choose a different health plan during Open Enrollment. Employees who do not make an Open Enrollment election to change to a different health plan, will be administratively moved by CalPERS to Health Net SmartCare (plan number 185), effective January 1, 2019.
Health Net employee premiums, all groups except Unit 6 (employee only: $0, employee + one $59.40, employee + 2 or more $106.62)
Health Net employee premiums, Unit 6 only (employee only: $0, employee + one $49.40, employee + 2 or more $86.62)
Dental Plan Enhancements
Delta Dental has added a couple of new dental enhancements that are effective January 1, 2019 for the Delta Dental PPO Plan: Diagnostic and Preventative Maximum Waiver and SmileWay Wellness Benefit.
When you visit a PPO dentist, your diagnostic and preventative services (like cleanings and exams) will not count against your annual maximum.
|Delta Dental Pays||You Pay||Your remaining maximum|
|Without D&P Maximum Waiver||$350.00||$100.00||$1,650.00|
|With D&P Maximum Waiver||$350.00||$100.00||$2,000.00|
SmileWay Wellness Benefit is an enhanced coverage for higher risk employees. Employees with these qualifying diagnosed medical conditions (diabetes, heart disease, HIV/AIDS, rheumatoid arthritis or stroke) are offered expanded coverage such as one periodontal scaling and root planning procedure per quadrant per calendar year covered at 100%. In order to use this great enhancement, employees will need to opt in by going to deltadentalins.com/csu (they can opt in starting 01/01/2019). Log in to their Online Services account. (If they don't have one, click Register.) Click on the Optional Benefits tab in the left column, then click on Opt In next to the name of the person they want to enroll, complete and submit the form. Employees may also sign up by phone at (888) 335-8227 to speak to a Customer Service representative Monday through Friday, 8:00am to 8:00pm, Pacific Standard Time.
Health Plan Reminders
- You will receive new health plan ID cards if you change your health plan or enroll for the first time.
- If you change plans during Open Enrollment and you don’t see the correct deduction applied by your February pay warrant, contact the benefits office.
- If you change health plans, do not continue to use your previous health plan after December 31, 2018.
Human Resources will be hosting our annual Benefits and Wellness Fair on Tuesday September 25, 2018 from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. at Jack Adams Hall, located on the 3rd floor of the Cesar Chavez Student Union building.
The fair will offer employees the opportunity to learn more about health plans that will be effective January 1, 2019 as well as local programs that can improve employee health and wellness. A wide range of health care groups, investment groups, and wellness companies are expected to attend. Fair attendees will be eligible to win door prizes from participating vendors. We hope to see you at the fair!
You will need Adobe Reader to view PDF files on this page; it is a free download from Adobe.com.