Frequently Asked Questions

Q: I need to reach a Benefits Representative, who can I contact?

A: Select Benefits Retirement Services


Q: I can’t locate my W-2, how do I get my W-2 form?

A: If you need a duplicate copy of your W-2, you may request one by completing a Standard Form 436 to request a duplicate W-2. The request must include the following:

•       Your name

•       Your Social Security Number

•       Tax year requested

•       Your mailing address

•       A day time telephone number

•       Your signature

More than one tax year may be requested; however, only four prior tax years are available.

Cost for Duplicate W-2

There is an $8.50 processing fee per tax year. For employees currently employed, payment for the duplicate Form W-2 must be made via payroll deduction and the appropriate option must be checked on the Form 436. The fee will be deducted from your next paycheck. For FERPS, retired annuitants, student assistants and employees who are not currently employed, payment must be made via a money order or cashiers check made payable to the State Controller's Office. Personal checks are not accepted.

Where to Send Request

Please send the request and payment, if applicable to the following address:

State Controller's Office

Personnel/Payroll Services Division

P.O.Box 942850

Sacramento, CA 94250-5878

ATTN: W-2 Unit

Q: My HRMS (PeopleSoft) account is locked, how do I reset my password?

A: To have your HRMS password reset call HRIS Services, (415) 405-4066 or email .


Q: How can I get help with my SF State password?

A: Select SF State password and login assistance


Top of page


More FAQ's:

Classification and Compensation Review FAQs


Top of page